Although there are some touring kayaks which have inbuilt rod holders, if all you want to do is fish then you need a kayak specifically built for that purpose. The top kayaks for fishing have everything that a fisherman could want; cooler holders, rod holders and the best will have a built in tackle box but at the very least there will be plenty of suitable storage for all the gear that you might want. Perhaps more importantly, the top kayaks for fishing will be very stable so that you can stand up for a better view of what’s going on and of course for casting your line.
There are other considerations too. For example if you need to travel a long distance to your fishing ground then a longer kayak moves more quickly and usually tracks better. However, a shorter kayak is more transportable by vehicle and more manoeuvrable on the water and the wider the kayak the more stable it is.
You will also need to choose between sit in or sit on top kayaks. While you can add a spray skirt to a sit in kayak to keep you dry, standing up will be a problem and if the boat does fill with water, you will have to bail it out. A sit on top kayak is usually self bailing and you can move about and access your tackle more easily, you can dangle your legs over the side if you wish and you can stand and pole the boat along.
The colour of a kayak is also important. While red or yellow may be a good safety feature if you fish where there is other waterborne traffic, green or khaki will provide you with better camouflage if you want to remain invisible to the fish and other wildlife.
As you can see there are lot of things to think about before you take the plunge and buy your fishing kayak but the following top fishing kayak reviews will help you to decide on what’s best for you.
Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak with Paddles and Backrests (Olive Green, 10-Feet)
This kayak has been designed for single or tandem use paddling but will accommodate a third person.
- This kayak is constructed from UV protected high density polyethylen
- Two 2-piece paddles are included
- Dimensions 10ft by 3ft.
- Draft 6in.
- Weight 60lb.
- Maximum load 500lb.
- Two seats with removable soft backrests plus a moulded side facing centre seat.
- Four fishing rod holders.
- Storage hatch.
- Ditty trays and straps to secure loose items.
- Self draining cockpit.
- Colour is olive green.
- 1 year limited warranty.
- Great tracking
- You can stand up or sit side saddle to fish.
- Accommodates three people.
- Difficult for a small person to carry because of the width.
- Stability is good for standing up, sitting down and casting.
- Great features such as fold down paddle clips.
- Very comfortable without additional cushions.
This is an ideal kayak for family fishing outings with lots of handy features.
For more reviews and pricing details, visit Lifetime Sport Fisher Kayak with Paddles and Backrests (Olive Green, 10-Feet) .
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Angler Fishing Kayak
- Dimensions 10ft by 28.5ins
- Weight 49lb
- Maximum load 325lbs.
- Adjustable seat and foot braces.
- Thigh pads.
- Moulded in tray, cup holder and paddle rest.
- Drain plug.
- Two rod holders.
- Available colour urban camo.
- Spacious cockpit.
- Tray and cup holders built in.
- Ample space.
- Moulded paddle rest is a little far forward for shorter people.
- Good workmanship and quality.
- Stable after initial wobble.
- Comfortable seat.
- Good tracking.
- Sufficiently closed to stay warm but open enough to move around.
A well made, well appointed kayak ideal for fishing or just puttering around taking photographs of wildlife.
For further reviews and details of pricing, visit Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Vapor 10 Angler Fishing Kayak
Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak
This sit on kayak is built for two people to enjoy fishing in safety
- Two Comfort Tech seats.
- Overlapping footwells.
- Four rod mounts with two rod holders.
- Two paddle keepers.
- Colour Brown Camo (sand/olive/brown/black).
- The overlapping footwells make this boat suitable for any height of person.
- Nearly impossible to tip over.
- Straight tracking.
- Width hinders speed.
- None as yet.
A fairly basic tandem fishing kayak built for safety and stability.
For pricing details, visit Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL Angler Kayak.